Saturday, April 9, 2011

Oh! The Places You'll Go!

Four years ago, I had no idea how the title of this Dr. Seuss book was going to describe my time at La Roche as a graphic design major! In a figurative sense, I’ve grown immensely as a person and as a designer. In a literal sense, graphic design at La Roche has introduced me to many new places.
First, I learned about places to get supplies. I wrote about many of these a few weeks ago. In addition to the physical stores, I learned how smart it was to sign up for mailing lists. Borders, JoAnn Fabrics, and Michaels routinely send you useful coupons, often as much as 40% off an item. Also, if you’re going to buy food, it’s smart to have a Giant Eagle advantage card or have a duplicate of your parents’ card. It not only gives you sale prices, but you also earn fuel perks, a discount on gasoline at Get Go stations. If you have a car, this saves you money on your gas. If you don’t have a car, your parents will appreciate that you save them a bit of money. Buying gas at Get Go also gives you more discounts on food at Giant Eagle. 
Second, certain graphic design projects led me to do research at various places. A redesign of Primanti Brother’s website led to dinner at the Cranberry location so that I could absorb the atmosphere and take some photographs. This one was great, as I’d always wanted to eat at Primanti’s! Another project on produce signage took me to Trader Joe’s, Right by Nature, and Whole Foods in Pittsburgh. As I’m a foodie by nature, this was a great excursion. Along those lines, a cupcake website design led me to CoCo’s Cupcakes in Shadyside (now closed) and Dozen Cupcakes in Lawrenceville and Oakland. A catalog of fly fishing reels took me across Pittsburgh to International Angler in the Robinson area, and later to the Allegheny Sport, Travel and Outdoor Show at the Monroeville Convention Center. For a photography assignment, I went to Mount Washington for an evening. Different assignments took me to Pittsburgh’s South Side, which was also where I completed an internship. 
These adventures have had other benefits as well. I’ve learned my way around Pittsburgh quite well. I’ve navigated major highways, tunnels, narrow one-way streets and parking garage ramps. Though maps and GPS aren’t a bad idea, I find my way around pretty well without them after four years. I’ve even proven my ability to change a tire in the rain!
Graphic design research may take place in the library or on the internet, but the best research is done out in the real world!
Groovy Pop Culture Emporium, Carson Street
stairs that have a street sign, South Side
South Side Local Development Company mural
cupcakes from CoCo's

No comments:

Post a Comment